South East Face/Gully

South East Face/Gully

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.12510°N / 105.6436°W
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 50 degree snow
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The South East Face of Spread Eagle Peak looms above the town of Westcliff, CO. On a good year the face will fill with snow directly from the summit. There are two main lines on the face, the lookers right branch looked about 45 degrees and leads to within 200 vertical ft. of the summit. The lookers left branch is the directissima, at 50 degrees, and leads directly to the summit. This is a big day with about 5000 vertical ft. of rise, and about 4000 vertical ft. of continuous descent. In my view, this is the perfect ski descent: Direct line off a summit, big vertical with a sustained steep face, a long and sinuous natural halfpipe down low, sick views, and a remote setting.

Getting There

Drive W out of the town of Westcliff toward Hermit Pass. Your starting elevation and location will depend upon the snowline. If it is low, park at the Hermit Pass rd. and skin on that until an elevation of 9400 ft., then contour your way to North Taylor Creek, and the road on its N side.

Route Description

Follow the North Taylor Creek Road, that turns into a trail, until coming to the obvious clearing that is the Spread Eagles SE facing avalanche path runout. Skin directly up it if conditions allow, and climb directly up the face. Evaluate the snow pack conditions as you go, and be aware that what lies 2500 ft. above you will probably be different than what you are seeing down low. Wait for a good Melt Freeze cycle, and keep track of the snow and wind events.

Essential Gear

Beacon Probe Shovel, Crampons, Ice Axe, Helmet

External Links

http://avalanche.state.co.us/
www.fireweather.info
http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snotel/Colorado/colorado.html

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.