South east ridge of Sgurr nan Gillean

South east ridge of Sgurr nan Gillean

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 57.21366°N / 6.11938°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Grade 2 Scramble. Great quality But easy.
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Rail from inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh. Bus from Glasgow, Fort William Edinburgh, Perth to Portree. And onward from there. I would recommend driving!

Isle of Skye, Black Cuilins & Sgurr nan Gillean

Accomodation. Broadford,Sligachan,Carbost, and Youth hostel in Glen Brittle
You can park at the Carpark by the A863. (485298) Or start at the campsite nearby at the Sligachan Hotel.

Route Description

The route starts as you leave followinh a path south accross the bridge and over moorland towards the mountains northern flank. When the waters of Alt Dearg Beag are met and Nead na -lolaire is to the left take the path left (due south) towards coire Riabhach. Follow the cairns amongst the bolders as the pinnicle ridge looms over you to the right. Keeping this course you will eventualy see and then gain the ridge opening up a great vista.
Looking down the ridge to Sgurr Beag and Harta Corrie you again see some real Skye landscape, then panning round see the ridge in all its glory..........a great place to start.
Looking up the ridge there is only one way to go, pleasurable scrambling on great rock to the summit.

Essential Gear

For this route only,
Good Boots for rough ground and scrambling. May be very wet underfoot on approach.
Waterproofs.

Map and compass. OS Outdoor Leisure 8 is ok.(can get more detailed maps for the Cuillins)
OS 1;50,000 Sheet 32
Bartholomews 1,100,000 Sheet 54

Camera.
In winter conditions you will want winter gear. Crampons Axe and a length of rope would be an advantage.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
visentin

visentin - Mar 24, 2010 8:44 am - Voted 10/10

nice page

Could you please detach it from the Cuillin page, I created the mountain page for Sgurr nan Gillean and it's now no point to keep it attached to both :) Thanks ! Eric

mountainmanjohn

mountainmanjohn - May 5, 2010 11:12 am - Hasn't voted

OOPS

Sorry Eric, could you give me a hint as to how to do that, ive lost touch with the way this site works.....john Ill do it ASAP

visentin

visentin - Dec 21, 2010 8:21 am - Voted 10/10

Re: OOPS

go to "attach/detach", and unclick cuillin range ("none" tickbox). as simple as that ! :) thanks and best wishes ;)

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.