South East Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.38830°N / 113.3157°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


All Mileposts are zeroed from the intersection of 6 and 50
From the intersection of US highway 6 and 50 in Delta head west towards Hinckley MP 6.5. Continue of the aforementioned H’way to MP 32.4. Turn right onto the dirt road at the sign ~ Long Ridge Reservoir 7miles ~ Death Canyon 21 miles. This road heads off in northerly direction towards Swasey peak. You will reach the reservoir at MP 39.0 while negotiating some sharp turns; continue to MP 40.8 to the intersection with Notch Peak Loop road, intersecting from the left or west. Continue straight to MP 42.4, Marjum Pass to the left and an alternate road back to H’way 6-50 to the right, continue straight to MP 47.2, Swasey spring to the left, stay straight to MP 51.0, Death Canyon to the right stay straight. From here to the summit the road gets a little rougher but can still be traveled in a two-wheel drive car. At MP 53.4 the road opens up to the Summit or Pass, it’s hard to call it a pass because the road dead-ends in a few miles. There is plenty of parking at this area on the left.
Four-wheel drive will be required during the winter months and might not be passable.

Route Description


1.6 miles one way with 1,850 of elevation gain.
There isn't any established trail to the summit so bushwhacking will be the method of travel until you reach the eastern summits.
Start heading towards the eastern summit in a northerly direction. The cedar trees and some thorny bushes I call Utah Bastard Bushes, not sure on the name make this portion of the route a nightmare. Head to the right or east of the ledge bands to reach the ridge and eastern summits at the 1 mile marker. Follow the ridge north and than west while losing and than regaining a little elevation to the summit of Swasey.
Either return the ascent route or try for the descent off to the west. I dropped off the southwest side which drops you into some steeper ledge bands, which will require maybe 30 feet of rope.

Essential Gear


No special gear is required during the dry months

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.