South face of the fifth finger

South face of the fifth finger

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.68880°N / 117.9091°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble/technical climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.6
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the parking area (3600'+), the peak is visible as the leftmost of several points. Hike up the slope to the base of the fifth finger, (the finger furthest west on the ridge).

Route Description


From the base of the fifth finger the largest crack that runs diagonally from the western side of the finger towards the eastern side is the starting point. After following this crack for approximately 80ft, a ledge to the right (east) leads you to the base of a small face that you follow up to a chute that you can scramble up for another ~ 30ft. A scramble up to the right then puts you near the top of the ridge which you can follow to the summit. See the route drawn on the picture.

Essential Gear


We carried a 10mm 60m rope, the length was longer than needed, only the first pitch was long, and didn't need to be. We used a couple .75 black diamond cams, a 1, 2, and a 4(only for the belay anchor). We used a couple assorted nuts as well.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.