South ridge trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.10890°N / 110.8128°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach





Drive to Bull Creek Pass either from the western approach or from the east via Hanksville.

Route Description

There is a well graded trail most of the way to the summit. Nothing difficult about climbing this peak other than getting to it. The last half mile to the summit requires some careful footwork on talus but nothing overly difficult.

It is about 2 miles to the summit and about 1100 feet of elevation gain. Ample parking for several cars at the pass. Avoid this area during electrical storms, you would be the logical lightning rod.

A traverse of the whole Mt. Ellen massif could be included to make this a very meaningful effort. Consider adding Ellen Peak, north of Mt. Ellen and So. Ellen Peak to the itinerary. That'd make a great addition.

Essential Gear

Early season would require ice axe and crampons but you would find it difficult to access this peak when there is still snow present as the roads would be blocked by snowbanks or avalanche debris. Best done in June to late October.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.