South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.73360°N / 119.9823°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Take HWY 88 to Carson Pass and park at one of the lots there. Parking fee is required. The trailhead is at the north lot on it's west end.

Route Description


The trail is heavily traveled and runs parallel to 88 in a westerly direction curving northward until it crosses a gully at about 3/4 of a mile then it heads north up to an unamed saddle. At the saddle head east right up the ridge passing first Castle Rock and then Red Lake Peak at 2.5 miles. Continue north on this ridge 1.5 to the summit ridge of Stevens peak and bear to the right up to the summit.

When there is enough snow on the ground you can skip the first part of this route and head pretty much straight for Red Lake Peak. Usually there will be have been sufficient traffic to make the route quite obvious but if not you will want to head north staying on top of the ridge then traverse to the right below Castle Rocks and up to the saddle between Castle Rocks and the false summit of Red Lake Peak.

Essential Gear


Nothing speacial required for this hike except, perhaps snowshoes or skis in the winter.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.