South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.73610°N / 114.099°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class III-IV
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To access Big Basin Peak's South Ridge Route from Hailey, Idaho, drive north on Highway 75 for 7 miles until reaching the East Fork Road. If coming from Ketchum, drive south on Highway 75 for 7 miles until reaching the same road. Turn east up the paved road and drive through many subdivisions.

Follow the road through the old mining town of Triumph until the road becomes dirt. Continue up the main East Fork of the Big Wood River as the road splits at Hyndman Creek. Follow the road past Sawmill and Federal Gulch Campgrounds. The road deteriorates in condtion after the campgrounds and a four-wheel drive, high clearence vehicle is needed. Drive 4 rough miles to the trailhead for Johnstone Pass.

Route Description


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage:7
  • Total Elevation Gain:3,600'
  • Class:III-IV
    From the Johnstone Pass Trailhead, hike 1.5 miles upstream along the base of Jacqueline and McIntyre Peaks until the trail begins to turn east and head toward Johnstone Pass.

    Leave the trail and travel cross country to the base of a typical Pioneer Mountain, high basin, wall of slabs and mixed evergreen. Follow the draw staying near the stream for about 1,000'.

    Turn west at 10,000' and hike to the saddle northwest of the Little Matterhorn. Drop a few feet into the basin immediaetly below Pt. 11,020 and Big Basin Peak. Continue north about .5 miles until reachin the 10,400' contour line.

    At this point, two notches in the rugged south ridge are visible. Ignore the lower, easier looking notch, and aim for a ledge the runs to the west in the lightly colored rock to the second higher notch.

    Take the small ledge to the notch on the south ridge. Drop to the west side of the ridge to avoid rock towers. The next 600' is solid class III climbing with several viable routes. It is best to stay on the west side of the south ridge when possible. The crux is just below the summit where the face and ridge steepen considerably and the terrain borders class IV climbing.

    Essential Gear


    All that is required is some experience with route finding and scrambling. A rope is not necessary.

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.