South ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.77318°N / 0.14981°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.1 (YDS)
Additional Information Difficulty: F+
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The normal route goes across the Glacier d'Ossoue, the same approach to all the peaks over the glacier. The final ridge is easy without snow (F+). Generally this peak is climbed both with Gran Vignemale / Pique Longue (3298m).

Getting There

See the main page to approach to both trailheads, Barrage d'Ossoue and Pont d'Espagne-Oulettes de Gauve.

Route Description

Clot de la Hount and Pique Longue

After 3h of walk from Barrage d'ossoue or 1h from refuge de Bayssellance we'll arrive to glacier across the normal route of great part of the peaks of Vignemale massif.

We'll go in direction to the left of glacier to border the crevassess of right side, following the normal approach to the Grand Vignemale (3298m). The glacier is long but whitout problems we'll arrive near to the bottom of Grand Vignemale. On this point generally you'll climb the main summit of Grand Vignemale in first time (F+) or not, but it's very advisable the climb of the most important summit of massif. After its climb you'll turn to left side in direction to the evident col between Cerbillona (3235m) and Clot de la Hount (3247m), called col of Cerbillona (3195m) passing under the caves of Russell. On the col of Cerbillona you'll turn to right side to get the south ridge. The firts section is wide with easy climb (F) but it have a narrow section on the center with only some meters of I+ to reach the summit.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice-axe all the year (it's a glacier).

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.