South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.23400°N / 106.4055°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Distance - 1.3 miles (one-way)
Trailhead Elevation - 8080'
Summit Elevation - 8685'
Gain - 600'

Approach

See the "Getting There" section on the Palomas Peak main page.

Route Description

From the parking area next to the concrete barriers begin hiking back up the road approximately 50 feet. On the left side of the road the trail leaves the road.
Parking AreaPalomas Peak parking area
Climbers TrailLeaving the road onto the climbers trail

The first portion of the trail follows the contour of the hill and parallels the road. Eventually the trail will drop down and cross a small creekbed, then switchback up the small hill on the other side. Just after this point the trail will intersect with the Upper Faulty trail. This section can be confusing but there are a few carins and arrows to point the way (hopefully they are still there).
Palomas/Faulty SplitUpper Faulty trail intersection markers

The correct trail will be a 90 degree turn to your left. There is a very faint game trail about 10 feet prior to the correct trail. After turning onto the South Ridge trail you will start to climb uphill on the backside of Palomas Peak. The trail will then switchback and come around to the front side of the peak.
Leaving the trailLeaving the main climbers trail to follow the south ridge
Through the CliffThe trail passing through the cliff band

Finally, the trail will split with a well defined climbers trail running along the base of the major cliff band and a much fainter trail climbing up along the south ridge of the peak. While this trail is faint there are many carins along the way. Once you have gained the top of the ridge the true summit is at the far (northern) end of the peak.
Giant Natural CairnA large natural carin marks where the trail switchbacks then passes through the cliff band

Ridge CairnsCairns marking the faint trail along the summit ridge



Essential Gear

Typical gear for a short hike.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.