South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.12278°N / 114.135°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Very steep at times
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

See uploaded topo map.  The red line shows the ridge I used in March 2017.  I had no beta whatsoever, and I was going by the topo and what I could see from the summit of Gold Cross Mountain the day before.  Then by what I could see as I was hiking toward the mountain (which caused me to adjust my route selection as I was approaching the peak).

Getting There

Long drive, from I-15 through Gold Butte National Monument, past the site of Gold Butte, to the Scanlon Ferry Road.  Down the tough Scanlon Dugway, continuing almost to the shore of Lake Mead.

Route Description

This is how I got up and down the mountain safely.  Its very possible that better routes exist.  (Certainly worse routes exist, too!)  Hopefully if someone knows of or finds a better route, they will add it here.

The route starts along NPS Road 116. At first the hiking is not rough, but eventually you'll need to cross a number of drainages.  A good point to aim for is 36.114722, -114.131667.  This is a spot low on the ridge.  You might get some help from burro trails in the area.

Hike up the ridge, eventually crossing a small saddle at 36.118889, -114.131944.  Soon after this you'll need to bear left and gain a different ridge above a large rock outcropping.  A recommended spot on the ridge to aim for is 36.119444, -114.133056.

Continue up this steep and rocky ridge to the summit.

This ridge does get quite steep but this outing is still more of a hike than a climb.  However, be prepared for a little 2+ or easy class 3 scrambling near the top.

The most obnoxious part of the route are all the drainages you have to cross during the approach hike.  Because of them, I tried a different return route.  I descended from the summit down to near the water's edge via the route marked on the topo.   I ended up below is below the historic water level, thus within the Lake Mead "bathtub ring."  Then I headed west.

I had hoped the drainages wouldn't be as deep.  But I still ended up doing plenty of up and down while crossing them.  And in general this return hike seemed more tedious than the original approach.  From the time I left the ridge, I had to deal with everything from old logs that had washed up from the lake, to deep gravel, to areas of large rocks and boulders, to weaving around and through bushes.  Or maybe it just seemed worse because it was so warm!

Essential Gear

Be prepared for a little easy class 3 scrambling.  A helmet would not be a bad idea.  Scrambling gloves would be good to have, along with trekking poles.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.