South Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.76000°N / 12.78000°E
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: UIAA II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The base of the climb is the Kerschbaumer Törl Pass. You reach this from Lienzer Dolomitenhütte (see main page for "getting there" info) by hiking south along the Laserzbachtal Valley. You can use a forest road or a shortcutting footpath. Both meet again shortly before the trail to Kerschbaumer Törl turns off to the west.

From Klammbrückl (also see the "getting there" section of the main page) you have to hike out south through Kerschbaumer Tal until you reach Kerschbaumer Schutzhütte. From here turn east to ascend to the Kerschbaumer Törl Pass.

Route Description


  • General data
      - Start altitude: 2285m
      - Summit altitude: 2454m
      - Prevailing exposition: N
      - Type: 30min over paths
      - Protection: marked but without security
  • Effort: 200m of altitude gain, 1km distance to the summit.
  • Power: 2 - UIAA II
  • Psyche: 1 - easy
  • Orientation: 1 - easy

    From Kerschbaumer Törl turn north onto Kleine Gamswiesenspitze's southern shoulder. The trail is marked, at least it is distinguishable by footmarks every where. About halfway up you'll encounter several short sections in which you will have to use your hands as well as a section near the top which must be the grade II one. If you are familiar with this type of scramble along grassy slopes the climb poses absolutely no problems. Doe to its steepness the path appears to be rather exposed in places.

    Essential Gear


    Hiking gear is sufficient.


  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.