South Slopes from Devil's Thumb

South Slopes from Devil's Thumb

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.99460°N / 105.6836°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This great trail allows you to climb Mount Jasper from the Devil's Thumb Area. This route allows you to climb two peaks in one day, Mount Jasper and Point 12,660 (12,695) without having to do too much distance. The views from this route are amazing, as you can see the Arapahoe Peaks, Skyscraper Peak, and many other peaks. It is well worth it to do this route, as the views are just amazing. This route is 10.3 miles and 4200 feet roundtrip.
Devil s Thumb and Devil s Thumb Lake

Getting There

From the town of Fraser, go north out of town to Grand County Road 8, and follow the road for eight miles. After the distance there is a sign and a road going to the right. Follow this road until it dead ends at a small dam over Ranch Creek. Park here and follow the Devil's Thumb Trail on the west side of the parking area.

Route Description

Follow the Devil's Thumb Trail as it starts out flat. Follow it past the intersection with the High Lonesome Trail at 0.8 miles, pass through Devil's Thumb Park, and follow the now steeper trail up to 11,750 feet at Devil's thumb Pass. From the pass turn north and start towards the summit of Point 12,660 (12,695). Follow the ridge for 800 vertical feet till where larger rock force you to scramble over them. The difficulty is only class 2+, but since it tends to windy up here, take care. From the summit, follow the ridge down towards the saddle with Mount Jasper. The views have now really started to open up, with the Arapahoe Peaks seen to the north. Follow the easy class 2 slopes up for 600 vertical feet to the summit of Mount Jasper. From the summit, looking north you can see North and South Arapahoe, Longs Peak, Apache Peak, Navajo Peak, and mount Neva. Looking west you can see Tabernash and Fraser. Looking south you can see Point 12,660, Skyscraper Peak, Parry James and Bancroft Peaks, and the Winter Park Ski Resort. Return either over 12,660 or skirt it on its west sides.
Unnamed Lake
Apache and Navajo

Essential Gear

Water, hiking boots, and wind gear, since it can get very windy up here.

Red Tape

No permits are required to dayhike in this area, but a permit is required if you want to overnight it in the Indian Peaks, you can get the permits in Fraser or Granby, and they are cheap.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.