South-west couloire

South-west couloire

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.83913°N / 10.71453°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Snow or firn > 45°, rock I.
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 Ascent to the top of the Weissseespitze from Melag over the Weisskugelhut and a south-west couloire in the Vernaglwände to the Gepatschferner.

Getting There

 By car to Melag from Reschia pass. Toll parking.

Route Description 

From Melag to Weisskugelhut by trail No. 2 (2h). From hut via marked route with direction to Adler summit above the hut (Richtersweg, Eisbruch). At the crossroads leave Richtersweg, turn left and climb a grassy slope. About 2800m leave marked route to Adler and take direct over Milancer glacier to good visible couloire in the central of opposite rock face of - Vernaglwände (2h). Climb the couloire with increasing inclination from 30° to 60°, length 600m, alt. 450m (2h). Only in good snow condition, be aware to avalanche! Be aware to falling stones! Than easy on the glacier to the left (north) to summit (0,5h). Descent the same or via Richtersteig to Weisskugelhut (4h).

Route description

Essential Gear

 Basic to the ice/firn - crampons, ice axe(s), helmet. Basic to glacier tour.

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.