Southeast Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.16870°N / 114.6578°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class II
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


To access the Southeast Face Route (standard), from the nearest major airport in Hailey, Idaho, drive north on Highway 75 up and over Galena Summit to the small hamlet of Stanley at the base of the majestic Sawtooth in 73 miles. Continue past Stanley heading in an easterly direction on Highway 75 for about 25 more miles until reaching a small sign stating "Slate Creek Road".

Turn right (south) and follow this adequate dirt road upstream along the Salmon River for .7 miles until reaching a fork. Go left. This is the slate creek road, which ends after another 6 miles at some talus slopes. It is passable for a passenger vehicle but a four-wheel drive vehicle is recommended. It appears possible to keep driving around to the right on a very rough jeep trail but this soon dead ends at the beginning of a trail.

Route Description


Route Stats
  • Total Mileage:6
  • Total Elevation Gain:3,300'
  • Class:II

    From the parking area. follow a faint jeep trail a short distance till it fades and trail begins to traverse the talus slopes above. Hike past the Slate Creek Hot Springs and the old Slate Creek Mine, which is still in tact. Although tempting, it is dangerous to tempt fate in exploring these old, but fascinating buildings.

    The trail shortly comes to a large mound of grayish sedimentary left over from mining activity. Continue past this keeping watch for an old jeep trail cutting west up the hillside. Hike the switchbacking road 1.5 miles until reaching Hoodoo Lake.

    From Hoodoo Lake, contour around the lake and bushwhack trough thick evergreen forest until breaking through into the upper basin below WCPs 1-2. The easiest approach from here is to climb directly up the southeast face heading toward the summit. This is a class II scramble unless climbing from the north or south ridges, both of which are class III. Footing is relatively good with little loose rock while the most solid limestone can be found on the small ridges on the face.

    Essential Gear


    No essential gear required. If attempting when snow is present, an ice-axe and crampons are a must.

    Miscellaneous Info


    If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
  • Parents 

    Parents

    Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

    WCP-1Routes