Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.74380°N / 119.2808°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3rd Class
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


As discussed on the main page, start at the trailhead near the Tuolumne Meadows Lodge, and take the John Muir Trail from the south side of the parking area. Follow this about 1/2 mile, until you cross the Lyell Fork of the Tuolumne River, and turn east. Follow this nice flat little freeway for 8 more miles, and then it will begin to climb. As you approach a creek crossing, the trail on the other side turns north, and climbs toward Donohue Pass. Before you cross the stream, leave the trail and continue up the drainage, staying on the west side of the stream. As you climb, Lyell and Maclure will come into sight, side by side, with Maclure on the right. Consider the approach finished when you reach the toe of the glacier.

Route Description


From the toe of the glacier, head for the saddle between Lyell and Maclure. Early season, you may need crampons and axe, mid-to-late season, you will just need waterproof shoes. Once the saddle is gained, turn right and scramble up the crest of the Southeast Ridge to the top. Don't forget to sign the summit log when you get back. While you're up there, since you already did the looong approach, you may as well bag Lyell as well. Or vice-versa.

Essential Gear


You won't need to carry much water, as it is available along the entire route. Early season may require crampons and axe, or may not. Mid-to-late season will see large sun cups, maybe with meltwater pooling in the bottom. The rock on the ridge is somewhat loose, it is not fine quality Sierra granite, but rather heavily fractured diorite or some such type. The holds, however, are good.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.