Southeast Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.69700°N / 115.452°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the mouth of the canyon, hike into the narrow canyon for a couple hundred yards until it opens back up on the other side. Devil Peak will be immediately in front of you.

Although Zdon’s book recommends continuing along the gravelly wash to a saddle below the south ridge of the peak, I found that immediately getting onto the southeast ridge worked just fine. The base of the southeast ridge meets the wash about 150 yards after the canyon opens up.

Route Description


There’s no trail, so just head up, following the ridge higher and higher. Very steep in places, the bulk of the peak’s 2300 feet of gain comes in this next mile to the summit.

After encountering a couple of false summits, you’ll eventually come to the last false summit, which connects to the true summit to the north via a sharp little ridge. Although the going on the crest of the summit ridge is still very easy, dropping slightly down to the west side makes it a little easier. Follow your nose to the highpoint, which is marked with a cairn.

The summit views are impressive. Clark Mountain is readily visible close by to the west, and Kingston Peak is lurking out there to the north/northwest.


To descend, retrace.

Essential Gear


Nothing special, really. Decent boots with good ankle support (lots and lots of scree and loose talus). Water, sunscreen, of course.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.