Southeast Slope

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.92840°N / 118.4899°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From the east: Start at the Taboose Pass trailhead. The Taboose trail starts in the desert at 5,300 feet and climbs 6,000 feet in 6.5 miles to Taboose Pass (11,360). There is very little shade and only a few meager campsites on the east side of the pass. Descend from the pass 3 miles to meet the John Muir Trail. Be sure to take the left (south) unsigned fork in the trail at the large meadow below the pass. A few feet south of the junction with the JMT, the trail to Bench Lake splits to the west. Follow the Bench Lake trail about 1.5 miles to the west end of the lake. From the Lake, contour west/southwest around to the valley below Arrow Pass. The class two Arrow Pass is the just to the left of the small peak rising from the center of the ridge south of Arrow Peak. The obvious pass between Arrow Peak and the small peak is doable. Although a shorter route, it is not faster. It invloves much hopping through medium to large shifting talus and it has a loose 50' class 3 cliff at the top (and possibly a cornice in early season).

Route Description


From Arrow Pass, contour along the west side of the ridge on well packed scree and gravel. Scramble up the obvious and broad Southeast Slope to the summit. The slope is fairly loose but easy as scree slopes go. It should only take 30 minutes to 1 hour from the top of Arrow Pass. As you near the top, aim for the eastern peak (highest).

Essential Gear


Arrow pass could have snow in early season--an ice axe and crampons could be useful (or just wait until the sun softens the snow). There is no relaible water on the route past the base of Arrow Pass.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.