Southeast slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.05316°N / 105.61788°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route ascends the southeast slopes of Spring Mountain. This is a steep route that goes off of the trail and right up to the summit. The views from this route are very good. This route is around 10 miles long with 3500 feet of elevation gain.

Getting There

To reach the trailhead, follow the Spring Mountain page to access the trailhead. From the Comanche/ Venable trailhead, head west on the Comanche Trail. After half of a mile, stay straight on the Comanche trail. The sign at this intersection is wrong as it is four miles from the trailhead to Comanche Lake. Follow the Comanche up the valley and some switchbacks and arrive at Comanche Lake at 11,700 feet. This lake is a great place to rest before pushing for the summit.

Route Description

From Comanche Lake, continue up on the trail up to around 12,400 feet. From here, turn right and walk up the steep slopes. From here the climb is pretty straightforward. It is easier to angle toward the east ridge below the summit. When on the east ridge, the last forty feet of Spring Mountain is Class 2+ difficulty. Climb through this short section, and you are on the summit. The views from here are very good. You can see the Crestones to the south, and views everywhere else are very good. Enjoy the views before heading back down.

Essential Gear

Good boots are needed for this hike. Take rain gear as weather can come quickly over Spring Mountain.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.