Southwest Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.61300°N / 107.591°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2+
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Jupiter Mountain is at Needle Creek's head, 0.6 miles south of Windom Peak and fifteen miles south-southeast of Silverton. It is the 92nd highest peak in Colorado.
Jupiter Mountain s north face...
Jupiter Mountain's North Face. Jupiter's West Ridge leads right from the summit.

Jupiter is the first prominent peak one sees while hiking up the Needle Creek Trail into Chicago Basin in the Weminuche Wilderness, Colorado's largest. From the summit, there are great views of the Chicago Basin fourteeners Mount Eolus, North Eolus, Sunlight Peak & Windom Peak, Jagged Mountain and The Rio Grande Pyramid. The Southwest Slopes Route is Jupiter's standard and easiest route and the only route that should be climbed during snow free periods.
Jupiter from high in Chicago Basin
Jupiter Mountain from 11,100 in Chicago Basin

Getting There

Jupiter Mountain's Page describes the involved approach. The best place to camp if attempting Jupiter Mountain and the Chicago Basin Fourteeners in the same trip, but different days is near the upper Twin Lakes and Columbine Pass intersection at 11,200'.

Route Description

From camp at 11,200' near the upper Twin Lakes and Columbine Pass intersection, follow the Columbine Pass Trail until over Jupiter Mountain's west ridge. Leave the trail here and gain Jupiter Mountain's west ridge. Follow the long ridge, staying south to avoid difficulties to the 13,780' false summit. From the false summit, follow the ridge to the true summit staying north to avoid difficulties.
Mount Eolus, North Eolus, Windom Peak, Sunlight Peak & Jupiter Mountain
Red = approach. Black = Jupiter Mtn.'s SW slopes route. Blue = Mt. Eolus, N. Eolus, Windom & Sunlight Peaks.

Showing the standard, class...
Jupiter Mountain's Southwest Ridge Route

From Camp at 11,200'


Roundtrip Distance: ~2.7 miles
Elevation Gain: ~2,700'

From Needleton Trailhead at 8,212'


Roundtrip Distance: 15.9 miles
Elevation Gain: 5,700'

Essential Gear

Shoes.

Credits

Colorado's Thirteeners from Hikes to Climbs


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.