Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Brett B

Brett B - Jul 22, 2007 7:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Very cool

I knew I could see Granite from the road to East Rosebud TH, very good work dude.

VincePoore

VincePoore - Jul 23, 2007 11:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very cool

Thanks for the props. Did you do the East Rosebud to Cooke City traverse? It's definately something on my To Do list.

chugach mtn boy

chugach mtn boy - Dec 22, 2009 2:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Traverse

I did that traverse with a teenage daughter in 07. Memorable trip! PM if you want to discuss sometime.

Nthnoak

Nthnoak - Oct 29, 2012 1:00 am - Hasn't voted

Awesome!

I too never knew much about granite until I decided I was going to climb it. I never knew where to look for it until I saw this. So I wanted to say thanks! Everyday for a couple years I got to stare at Granite as I drove home from Billings on the interstate. Now Ive made multiple attempts at climbing it and have made the summit. Yet I still constantly look to the Beartooths and go immeadiately to Granite because of this!

VincePoore

VincePoore - May 18, 2013 11:56 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome!

You are welcome. I still remember my feelings the first time I recognized it from afar and thought how crazy it was that I was born in Billings and no one ever pointed it out. I had to find it on my own in my forties and hence this page was born.

Interesting side note: you can also see Whitetail Peak from two spots near Columbus.

Easier: drive east on the frontage road to the top of the hill where there is an overpass over I-90. I think this is the best spot to see all of the high ones. Castle, Silver Run, even Snowbank. Whitetail will be obvious since you've climbed it.

Harder: as you are driving from Columbus to Absarokee, just after the first strong left hand curve you will be heading due south and for a very small section of road you will be able to see it.

Nthnoak

Nthnoak - Aug 7, 2013 10:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome!

I just recently moved back to Billings and my buddy I go climbing with actually just told me about being able to see Whitetail from the Absarokee road so I will have to go see for myself! Just a couple weeks ago I went to Cooke City to see if you could see Granite Peak from that road and sure enough you can for a second about 3 miles outside of town!

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Spotting Granite Peak' main page