Spring/Snow Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.24400°N / 111.556°W
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow/Kick-step Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Strenuous Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The trailhead for this route is at the Y-mountain parking lot.


Best time to Hike


This hike is best done in Early April to early May. Any earlier and the snow is way too soft. Wait a week or so after the most recent snow to let it compact and crust over.

*Make sure you get a very early start (5am) and you will be able to cruise up on crusted snow before the sun comes up and softens the snow.

Route Description


Elevation gain: 7000 feet.

Distance: 11 miles

Attraction: Pride, knowing that you are one of very few people who have ever done this climb. No advanced snow/ice climbing skills are necessary. Good way to take out some Post-Finals fury on the mountain.

Nutshell: A very, very tiring but awesome hike. I've never felt more exhausted yet pumped after any other climb/hike in my life.

Hike up the well-used trail that goes to the "Y" on the mountain. Continue on the trail up the top of the Y. At the top you will see a trail that heads south, angling up the mountain. Follow that trail for another 2.5 miles until you come to a meadow, turn south and then you come to a pass in 1/4 mile.

From the pass head East up the ridge (It's a 800ft gain and as you approach the top of this mountain you'll get an amazing view of Provo Peak), and along the summit ridge of Lion's Head. If you get even a few yards north of the summit the snow may too soft and you will post-hole. Don't try traversing the south facing slopes of Lion's Head, it's not worth it; the Scrub Oak is horrible and a pain to get through. Descend Lion's Head (600 ft elev. drop) down to the pass below Provo Peak.

Now you will climb from 8350 feet to 11070 feet in about 1.25 miles.

From the pass, follow the road south for a 200 yards or so and then head up a prominent gully on your left. Route find up the gully, as it gets steeper and closer to the ridge, stay left and head accross to the west ridge. As you ascend, the climb gets much steeper. Follow that west ridge all the way up to the summit.

To return, follow the route you came up. The climb back up Lion's Head is very tiring if the snow has softened considerably.

Essential Gear


**Crampons may be necessary if the snow is very crusted over. You probably won't need them, as I was able to kick steps into the snow fairly easily.

**I recommend having an ice axe on this hike. I forgot to bring one and luckily I didn't end up needing it, but there are some very steep sections along the west ridge that if you slipped on you could slide a thousand feet or so before stopping.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.