Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Nice to see another entry from your hand, as usual it is good quality!
Posted Aug 2, 2005 6:06 am

Gangolf HaubUntitled Comment

Gangolf Haub

A beautiful page with interesting geological information.
Posted Aug 2, 2005 6:34 am

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Excellent page Jon! Thanks for sharing!

-Britt
Posted Aug 2, 2005 8:16 am

hgrapidUntitled Comment

hgrapid

Once routes are added, this page will be outstanding!
Posted Aug 2, 2005 10:44 am

KaneUntitled Comment

Kane

Awesome geology Jon.
Posted Aug 2, 2005 10:17 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Thanks Kane. I'm going to be staying up along highway 103 near idaho springs this coming friday/saturday/sunday. Interested in heading towards Vail? Oh and yes I am interested in Italian. All I know about it is that it is not named for its swarthy skinned inhabitants :) More something to do with green vegetation, white snow, and red rock...

Jon

William MarlerUntitled Comment

William Marler

Very nice. Cheers William
Posted Aug 5, 2005 10:12 am

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

I liked your well-written Fossil Ridge overview, Jon. Is a Henry Mountain page forthcoming?
Posted Aug 5, 2005 3:45 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

Ryan,

Hey thanks for the vote... is my desription of the ridge from Gunsight Pass accurate in your opinion? I wasn't sure if you wanted to do a Henry page... I figured since you went up it first you should have the first chance at it. If you aren't interested I could probably do it. I found that I liked Square Top more but Henry was good too... Hope your having a good summer!

Jon

Posted Aug 5, 2005 4:12 pm

RyanSUntitled Comment

RyanS

I agree with your description, Jon, you did a good job. Just write me if you're ever in doubt about submitting a page. I wouldn't have minded at all if you did a page for Henry.

I agree that Henry would be totally uninteresting if not for Square Top, so maybe a combination page would be the best solution? I know I won't be getting around to adding any more SP pages until after the wedding and the move to PA.
Posted Aug 5, 2005 4:34 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Excellent !!!
Posted Aug 6, 2005 1:33 am

brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

Very interesting page. I enjoyed the geology notes and admired the beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting!

My usual proofreading report:

Geographicaly and geologicaly -> Geographically and geologically

Sawatche's -> Sawatch's

gnieses -> gneisses

mountanous -> mountainous

apears -> appears

the authors eye.In -> the author's eye. In

predominates the lower portions -> predominates in the lower portions (this sentence seems a bit confusing)

limestine -> limestone

limesone -> limestone

passible -> passable

thae map -> the map

use trail -> use trail)

vary narrow -> very narrow

Return either -> Either return

allows for bypassing -> allows one to bypass

comming -> coming

extreme aution -> extreme caution

Square Top Mountains isolated -> Square Top Mountain's isolated

means for more -> means more (or far more?)

a nights stay -> a night's stay

prefered -> preferred
Posted Aug 13, 2005 9:12 pm

JonBradfordUntitled Comment

JonBradford

brenta,

What would I do without you? Your corrections are very appreciated... As is your vote and comments. Glad you liked the geology notes... It is kinda too bad that Colorado's limestone never eroded into anything like the Dolemites that your handle brings to mind... Perhaps once Colorado's outcrops were more impressive. Anyway did you grow up in Italy?

Jon
Posted Aug 18, 2005 5:52 pm

brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

Yes, I grew up in Italy. I've spent many wonderful days in the Brenta Dolomites, which is why I go by that name on SP. Dolomite rock is a close relative of limestone, but half the calcium in the calcite has been replaced by magnesium. The result is much less soluble in water and forms markedly different mountains. In the Dolomites region there are limestone peaks (including the highest: Marmolada) and the Brenta Dolomites are west of the Dolomites proper, but once you have experienced both types of rock you will not be easily confused. I'm not aware of any significant dolomite mountains in Colorado, though there are some in the Canadian Rockies.
Posted Aug 19, 2005 2:04 pm

GarethUntitled Comment

Gareth

Great page with some really nice pictures!
Posted Aug 27, 2005 6:48 pm

Ryan KowalskiSimply perfect

Ryan Kowalski

THIS is what a page was meant to be! Your page has done its job-left me salivating to visit this area. As a geologist I especially liked your geologic discourse. Well done!
Posted Apr 13, 2006 9:57 pm

JonBradfordRe: Simply perfect

JonBradford

Hey thanks for the compliment. I am not a geologist but I majored in geology during my time at MSCD. I am glad the info is apreciated. I realy get a kick out of finding marine fossils at 12,000 ft. I may go back this summer to climb Fossil Mountain.
Jon