Squaw Mountain near Provo

Squaw Mountain near Provo

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Wonderful hike near Provo

 
Squaw Mountain summit area
 

The hike to the top of Squaw Mountain via the Rock Canyon trail route is one of my favorites in the Utah Valley area.  My favorite hike is Mount Timpanogos via the Timpanooke trail but there are times when I need a hike closer to where I work. This hike is a  gem since you can drive right up to a nice parking area and  then start immediately from there.  I always take the trail since I use this hike for a conditioner and my goal is to hike it in each month of the year.  I've put in 5 hikes of it so far in 2013 and have also hiked it twice on my birthday.  With an elevation gain of 2700' and about 7.6 miles, it makes a  great conditioning hike.  I'll be posting my pics from the most recent snow hike as well as from hikes from before.  The first set will be winter and then I'll post some pics from this past fall.  I'll start off with my favorite season,  Autumn and then move to winter and then summer/spring.  I'll slowly be adding pictures to this album but I'll try to do it in such a way as each picture will shed a little light on the overall trail that heads up to the summit via Rock Canyon.

Autumn

My favorite season is Autumn. When the colors come out, it is nature at its best. 
An early fall snow storm created a real treat for one of my hikes so some of the pics
in this section are from that hike.

 
Rock Canyon in Fall 
 
Fall hits higher up 
 
Buffalo Mountain 




 
Squaw Mountain in October 
 
Rock Canyon on Oct 4th, 2013 
 
Early snow in Rock Canyon 




 
Fall color with new snow 
 
Fall colors highlighted by new snow 
 
The red colors were striking 




 
Squaw Mountain trail leaves 
 
Fall colors 
 
Fall colors 

Winter

Winter is the time to get the snowshoes out and the cold weather gear.
The pics in this section are from a recent hike with some friends from Salt Lake City
 
Rock Creek Canyon in December 
 
Bridges of the Rock Canyon trail 
 
Trail Split 




 
Trail sign 
 
Crowd at the top 
 
Winter atop Squaw Mountain 




 
Looking over to Y Mountain 
 
Feels good to get out 
 
Walking in a Winter Wonderland 

Spring and Summer

I've got many of my spring and summer pics on the Squaw Mountain main page but I'll be going through my pics to see if I have any good ones to add to this album. My main focus for this album will be for the Autumn and Winter pictures. I hope you might get interested in hiking up this great trail to the summit of Squaw Peak if you are ever in the Provo Utah area. As a transplant from Washington State, I'm amazed at how many great hikes there are in this area so close to the cities.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.