Standard (from Chicago Valley)

Standard (from Chicago Valley)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.00650°N / 116.0804°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike / Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2-3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From wherever you manage to get your vehicle, head cross-country across the open desert toward the obvious large canyon splitting Nopah Point from the slightly lower pyramidal peak, Nopah Peak, to the north. Both peaks are obvious.

As you approach the canyon mouth, look for a steep-appearing, loose gully on the south side of the wide canyon mouth. The gully is just before you enter the canyon.

Head toward the gully.

Route Description


Once in the gully, follow it to its head, either climbing through a class 2-3 low cliff band partway up, or bypassing it on easier terrain to the left.

At the head of the gully, you’ll note some higher, complex cliff bands blocking further progress. You can either route-find a way up them (likely class 3-4) to the ridge crest above, or head up slightly and to the right (west) to a couple of ducks near the base of the cliffs. From the ducks, follow terrain southward around the base of the cliffs until you find a break that allows you to move up and left to the ridge crest above. Either way, you’re working to get onto the ridge crest above.

(We found a class 3 weakness (slabby) perhaps fifty feet south from the ducks, but I’m confident that even easier terrain can be found if one traverses further south along the cliff bands until they mellow out a short distance later)

Once on the ridge crest, follow class 2 terrain south until the ridge connects with the more prominent west ridge of the peak.

Follow the class 2 west ridge all the way to the summit. Though loose in places, the occasional use trail can be picked up to make the going easier.


This route entails about 4200 feet of gain over 10+ miles (roundtrip).

Essential Gear


The obvious stuff for a day out doing some light scrambling in an isolated section of desert.

Oh yeah, and a topo map.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.