Standard Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.36012°N / 107.17485°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bomber Mountain is a somewhat indistinct ridge complex in the Bighorn Range of Wyoming.  It was not named until after a WWII era bomber crashed into its flanks in the 1940s.  Since then the crash site has drawn attention to the peak.  It is now one of the more frequently summitted peaks in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. 

Below is a descrition of the standard scrambling route to the bomber wreckage and summit as this information was not available on the main Bomber Mountain page.  

Getting There

The most common approach starts at the West Tensleep trail head, which is reached by turning north off of the Cloud Peak Scenic Byway (Highway 16) at Deer Haven Lodge onto Forest Road 27. Follow this road for about 9 miles to the parking area at the trail head. Hike on the Mistymoon Lake Trail (trail #063) around the shores of West Tensleep Lake, and negotiate a small stream crossing. Follow this trail for about 6.5 miles, passing Lake Helen and Lake Marion before arriving at Mistymoon Lake.  From the trail junction on the south of Mistymoon lake go east on the Solitude Trail (trail # 038).  Follow this trail for just over 2 miles to Florence pass.   Florence lake sits below with Bomber Mountain directly to its north.  The climbers trail starts at a large cairn on the north side of the lake.  

Route Description

Starting at Florence Lake take trial #038 to the outlet of the lake near its east shore.  From here leave the main trail and cross the outlet of the lake.  Follow the lake shore around to the north east side of the lake. 

 

Bomber Mountain
Bomber Mountain

 

 

From here you should see a large cairn sitting atop a bolder.  This marks the start of the climbers path up to the wreckage site.  The trail ascends a chute on the north side of the lake.  

 

 

Lower climbers trail
Lower climbers trail

 

 

Once atop the first chute the grade eases for a while.   Continue to the northwest crossing a small creek which is a good place to refill your water bottle.  This is likely the last water source you will pass if doing the route in July or August.   From here you can see a large dark band of rock.  Follow the small cairns as you climb and traverese above the dark colored rock.   

 

Upper climbers trail
Upper climbers trail

 

 

Once abvoe the dark rock band continue following the cairns as you gain elevation toward the ridge.  Before long the first couple small pieces of wreckage come into view.  Continue past these for about 300-400 yards until you arrive at the main wreckage. 

Small memorial plaque inside wreckage

After exploring the wreckage I continued up through the boulders to the actual summit of Bomber Mountain which has a great view of Cloud Peak.   Plan on 3-4 hours round trip from Florence Lake.

Summit of Bomber Mnt with Cloud Peak in the background.

Essential Gear

No technical gear is required.    Be sure to have good hiking boots or shoes & rain gear.  You can fill water at the lake or at the small streatm crossing about 1/3 of the way to the wreckage. 

External Links

Add External Links text here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.