Standard Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.30310°N / 105.686°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Begin at Bear Lake. Walk a short distance around the lake, to the right, until you see the marker for the Flattop Mountain trail.

This trail is well worn and easy to follow. You will wind your way through dense forested slopes. After a few sets of long switchbacks, you will come to the Dream Lake overlook. This is a beautiful spot to take a load off, snap some pictures and take a few sips of water. Continue on through some more switchback until you arrive at the Emerald Lake overlook. Another great spot to refresh.

You will soon be above treeline, facing a long, broad, slope towards Flattops summit.

Route Description


Once you reach the summit of Flattop Mountain, take a left (South) on the well worn social trail that leads up Hallett Peak. Try to step on rocks as much as possible, sparing the fragile tundra grasses.

Soon, you will be standing on top of a wonderful mountain. There are plenty of wind blocks on top, so find a good spot to enjoy your lunch before heading back down.

Follow the same trail all the way back to Bear Lake.

Essential Gear


Basic hiking essentials. (plenty of water, food, rain gear, layers, first aid, etc...)

Don't forget the camera!!

USGS "McHenry's Peak" Quad.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.