steep creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 58.38139°N / 134.52417°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: WI4
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 3
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

although not a purely vertical flow, steep creek is still an excellent way to kill half a day in the valley. A moderate approach and stimulating technical moss climbing to the top out add to the adventure.

Getting There

park at the visitor center near the glacier, and follow the trail of time (the trailhead by the small lake on the right of the road). Follow the trail to the second bridge over steep creek, and either crampon up the stream (if fully frozen) or bushwhack up the right side of it. Follow this for about 20-25 minutes until you see the first pitch

Route Description

P1: 70 feet, WI3. This pitch is quite wide, more difficult lines can likely be taken. Belay from the fallen tree at the top.

climb up some steep 4th class to the belay for the second pitch.

P2: 160 feet, WI3+. Start on the right for the easiest line, trending towards the middle, and hooking right again towards the top. Belay from fallen tree.

climb upstream about 200 feet through a couple of log jams to the belay for the third pitch.

P3: 60 ft, WI4. A steeper, more engaging final pitch. Get a couple of screws in after the opening moves. belay from fallen trees.

after topping out on P3, do some technical moss climbing (m1....lawl) up the left side of the ravine. look around for the orange marking tape, and follow it to the east glacier trail, and your car. STAY ON THE TRAIL, if you don't you'll get miserably cliffed out, and thats never fun :(.

Essential Gear

60m rope, 6 screws are more than enough.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.