Viewing: 1-10 of 10
BobSmith

BobSmith - Mar 28, 2010 6:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice addition!

I almost hiked this one, but I couldn't spare the time that day. We did some hiking above Rocky Falls, though.

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Mar 28, 2010 11:14 pm - Voted 10/10

So glad

To finally see Missouri get another peak added to SP.

THANKS!

Sarah

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Mar 29, 2010 7:40 am - Hasn't voted

Re: So glad

Sarah, you live in Colorado - - why Missouri "peaks"?

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Mar 29, 2010 3:06 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: So glad

I went to college in MO. Southern MO / Northern AR = my stomping ground for 4 years.

I think the Ozarks are underappreciated. Especially in the fall, they are a lovely place to roam.

Sarah

csmcgranahan

csmcgranahan - Apr 6, 2010 10:20 am - Voted 10/10

Nice!

It's nice to see a new mountain from Missouri. I hiked up this back in 2003 and got some nice pictures of the lizards you talk about. I will see if they scan good enough to post. I'll sign the summit log after I figure out exactly when I topped out. The entire area is very nice. I've spent the night at Rocky Falls, Klepzig Mill and along the bank of the Current River near Owl's Bend. This brings back some good memories. Thanks again!

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Apr 6, 2010 5:29 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

Super -- I didn't see any of the darned lizards. :(

Did you stay at that nice site just across the ford from the Mill? That's quite a spot but was occupied when I blew through.

csmcgranahan

csmcgranahan - Apr 8, 2010 12:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice!

We camped just past the gravel road on the Mill side of the creek and had the swimming hole all to ourselves. It sounds like it is the spot you are talking about. If you like the shut-ins you should visit Castor River shut-ins at Hahn's Mill - they are the best for swimming in my opinion.

displacedchzhead

displacedchzhead - Dec 11, 2011 12:02 pm - Voted 10/10

Fun dayhike

Made it to the top of the tower a couple years ago, on a dayhike where I was working out some kinks on my gps. Hardest part of the hike was dodging a small patch of poison ivy just past the creek crossing at Rocky Falls. Lots of beebalm in bloom when I went.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Dec 13, 2011 11:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Fun dayhike

Did you go to the tower from the access road, or loop around from Rocky Falls?

displacedchzhead

displacedchzhead - Dec 13, 2011 11:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Fun dayhike

Parked at Rocky Falls TH. Took trail due E 1/2 mile to OT, did the loop around the E side of the mountain, and eventually got on the dirt road that hooks NE to the lookout tower.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Stegall Mountain' main page