Stob Coire Nan Lochan, NC Gully

Stob Coire Nan Lochan, NC Gully

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 56.64896°N / 5.02187°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The gully that separates the North and Central buttresses of Stob Coire Nan Lochan in the Glencoe area of the Western Highlands of Scotland.

Getting There

Get to Scotland first of course ! The Coire can reached from a car park on the A82 in the Pass of Glencoe at OS grid reference 168 569. The walk-in to the base of the buttresses takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours - mostly uphill. For a full description of the various ways to get there read "Winter Climbs,Ben Nevis And Glencoe", a Cicerone Guide by Alan Kimber.

Route Description

In good conditions this gully is a dream of a snow climb. Difficulties vary throughout the season, although it is relatively straightforward most of the time. It is also steep and very atmospheric. A great introductory gully, 155m at Scottish Winter Grade II - a two star classic. The views from the top of the climb, in all directions, are magnificent.
Although I have stated that the climb takes up most of the day, this includes the walk-in and walk-out. The climb itself takes only a couple of hours. Early in the season you will need to set out very early to ensure that you are back down before darkness sets in.

Essential Gear

The usual basic winter rack plus two ice tools. Helmets are a must.

External Links



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

ScotlandRoutes