Stratton Pond Trail to Appalachian Trail

Stratton Pond Trail to Appalachian Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.08600°N / 72.926°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Level to Moderately Steep Walk
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The trailhead is just .8 miles(by my odometer) from the parking area for the AT/LT on Arlington - West Wardsboro Rd. Walk west down the road and watch for the trailhead up in the woods just before a bridge crossing a small river.

There is a parking area just past the trailhead on the north side of the road.

Route Description


This is an alternate route to Stratton Pond that allows access to the AT/LT southbound to Stratton MT. It also provides an easy loop for beginning hikers to do an overnight stay at the Stratton Pond area without retracing their route.

The trail is level and an extremely easy walk of 3.9 miles to the pond. It joins the AT/LT about 1/4 miles from the pond. A left at this junction will bring you down to the north shore of Stratton Pond and a right will take you up to the summit of Stratton Mountain in 6.9 miles. It's another 3.4 miles back to the AT/LT parking lot.

Essential Gear


This can be done in sneakers. Pay attention to the weather and dress accordingly. Remember: Vermont has a "mud season" in spring and the trail can be very wet and muddy even though the surroundings look dry. Water resistant boots and a change of socks are a very good idea.

I would strongly suggest bringing a water filter even on a day hike. Water is usually available from streams throughout this hike but all water should be filtered or treated.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.