Strickler Knob via Scothorn Gap Trailhead

Strickler Knob via Scothorn Gap Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.66568°N / 78.57413°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Total Roundtrip Miles: ~6.0 miles
Elevation Gain: 750 feet (possibly more with rock scrambling on ridge)

Getting There

From highway 211 follow Crisman Hollow Rd to the Scothorn Gap Trailhead parking area.

Route Description

Note: Scothorn Gap Trail is yellow blazed.

Take the Scothorn Gap Trail from the parking area and cross Passage creek. The trail ascends approximately 500 feet in 1.25 miles to a four-way intersection. Go straight through the intersection leaving Scothorn Gap Trail and joining the orange blazed Massanutten Trail. The Massanutten Trail climbs roughly .75 miles to the top of the Massanutten Mountain Ridge. At this point, the Strickler Knob Trail, pink blazed, is directly to the right at the very top of the ridge. It is not really marked clearly at first and is difficult to find. The top of the ridge is very rocky and everything runs together. Just remember to look on the right, South, when arriving at the top of the ridge. After leaving the Massanutten Trail and heading South on the Strickler Knob Trail, the summit is approximately 1.0 mile away. The last .25 mile of the Strickler Knob Trail is a Class 2 rock scramble. The sections are well marked with pink blazes or red diamonds. There is a summit register located just South of the main summit blocks.

Essential Gear

Good, ankle supporting, hiking boots because the last mile of the route is very rocky.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.