Sturgeon Rock (Washougal, WA) is Official High Point!!!!!

Sturgeon Rock (Washougal, WA) is Official High Point!!!!!

Page Type Page Type: Article
Activities Activities: Hiking

Sturgeon Rock (Washougal, WA) is Official High Point!!!!!

Well everyone, it seems that what we already knew will finally be recognized by USGS...that Sturgeon Rock is, in fact, the prominent 4000+ ft. rock formation just west of Star, and not the 3100 foot dirt mound posted on our topos!!!!! Special Thanks to Don Nelson for sticking with the paperwork (I attempted twice to contact USGS, and my calls were never returned). Clark County's high point has a name, and it is Sturgeon Rock!


The Rock Without a Name

Sturgeon Rock, a 4100ft prominent rock formation bordering the Clark/Skamania county border of SW Washington State, has recently been the subject of much controversy between the USFS/USGS and local area hikers.
Due to an error dating back nearly 50 years, the location of Sturgeon Rock on USGS maps was placed approx 1.5 miles west of the original rock formation, effectively rendering the actual "Sturgeon Rock" nameless.
Thanks to multiple efforts by local hikers, the unanimous decision by the government to restore the name to its rightful location will take effect Jan. 11th 2007.
As of Jan. 11th, Clark County Washington's highest point will be officially recognized as Sturgeon Rock (the county's eastern border approximately bisects the rock formation at 4000ft; well above Clark County's second highest named landmark, Pyramid Rock=3500ft).


Great description of Sturgeon Rock, Washington (by Klenke), w/ location coordinates

Columbian newspaper article concerning name restoration.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
desainme

desainme - Dec 12, 2006 2:48 pm - Voted 10/10

You might elaborate

on this. For example what State? I think it is Washington. It is on the Clark/Skamia county frontier. Longitude and Latitude. Just north of Portland etc.

Klenke

Klenke - Dec 12, 2006 5:18 pm - Voted 6/10

Elaboration needed

Yeah, I agree. Where's the link? What's the point of this page, anyway? I guess to inform us of this name change.

Also, to be strict: the Clark County Highpoint is not at the summit of Sturgeon Rock as the county line crosses on its west ridge maybe 100 yards down from the summit.

The name of Sturgeon Rock would have been much more interesting as Sturgeon Fin, but I guess we'll have to relegate that name to the West Ridge where the county line crosses.

Charles Webberley

Charles Webberley - Dec 13, 2006 11:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Elaboration needed

Thanks for the tips!

Charles Webberley

Charles Webberley - Dec 14, 2006 12:22 am - Hasn't voted

Re: You might elaborate

Hope this helps!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Feb 5, 2007 7:46 pm - Hasn't voted

The topo link

that's of course the location prior to the recent correction

Viewing: 1-5 of 5