Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 40.56600°N / 111.624°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 20, 2002
I've only done this peak once and it was because we were looking for a longer route to Devils Castle. We started at the Albion Basin Trailhead at the end of the road near the campground. From here we went to Cecreit (Secreit) Lake around the North side and up to a low area on the ridge. Hiking for a short distance we could see a ski lift house near the base of the peak. We hiked around this and found the trail that went right up to the summit. We stayed up here for a few minutes, had a drink and decended via the South ridge. The views were probably good from here but I really don't remember too much.

I'm glad that I did this one but don't really have a desire to do it again unless of course I'm hiking with someone that would appreciate it and find it quite a challenge. It is none the less, an 11000' peak but I seem to think of it as a high point on a ridge. I don't get the same feeling standing on Sugarloaf that I get on any other peaks of any significance. It would be a great introductory hike or climb for children, friends or relatives that are not the "outdoor" types. I'm certain I will be there again, and maybe my outlook will improve.

ADDED June 19, 05: Today I hiked up to Big Mountain (8472') from the pass to East Canyon above Affleck Park. It was really windy and the air was clear of haze. Looking South at the Cottonwood and Alpine Ridges I could see most major peaks clearly. The ones over 11000' looked awsome, including Sugarloaf! I take back everything I said above and I will now look at it with the respect it deserves.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sugarloaf PeakTrip Reports