Summer Eastern Slopes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.09805°N / 105.139°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Short Class 2+ walk-up
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pikes Peak beyond the rocky eastern slopePikes Peak beyond the rocky eastern slope



This is the shortest, most direct route with least elevation gain required to reach the summit of Mount Deception. Though short, the route gains more than 400 feet in less than one-third of a mile, a fairly stiff rate of gain. A 4x4 is required to reach this trailhead.

Getting There

A 4x4 is required to reach this trailhead. While a high clearance vehicle with good traction may be sufficient in dry conditions, wet conditions (from rain or from snow melt) would turn Hotel Gulch Road into a quagmire.

From Rampart Range Road, go west on Hotel Gulch Road about 1.5 miles to a non-descript turnoff to a casual camping area and park.

(The campsite turnoff is at the highpoint of the road between two streams indicated on the map: White Spruce Gulch to the north of the camping are and Hotel Gulch to the south.)

Route Overview, Mount DeceptionClick map image to enlarge

Route Description

Humble summit cairn of Deception PeakHumble summit cairn of Deception Peak



  • After parking near the open rustic camping area, head west through timber up the eastern slope of Mount Deception.

  • A faint use trail may be apparent to the astute off-trail hiker. Follow this very faint boot route, taking the path of least resistance around boulders and outcrops.

  • A short and easy scramble (Class 2+) brings the hiker to the flat, grassy summit surrounded by sparse trees.


Essential Gear

  • Trekking pole(s)

  • Sturdy hiking boots with grippy soles and stiff ankle support

  • Water and snacks

  • First aid kit

  • Other standard backcountry essentials



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.