Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.04106°N / 121.5966°W
Additional Information County: Pierce
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5271 ft / 1607 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Sun Top LookoutThe Famous Lookout


Sun Top a gem of summit located on Highway 410 is an excellent hiking, biking and skiing destination in the Mount Rainier ares. The summit is quiet popular with hikers, snowshoers, mountain bikers and skiers. This ia due to the fact that Sun Top has an access road all the way to the summit area. Depending on the time of year that could mean all of the above. There is also a nice trail around the summit area that leads to other destinations from around the Sun Top area.

From near the lookoutThe Lookout with the mountains in the distance


In winter this becomes a 9 to 10 mile snowshoe depending on how you decided to end your trip to the summit. For the most part this a road walk turned snow slog up thick second growth forest all the to the summit and if you do the road completely it is 10 miles roundtrip. Though many people start on this trail you will quiet surprised at how few actually complete the snow slog. Out of eight cars in the parking only our group and one other made it. There are excellent views on the summit however the slog for the first four miles can leave a lot to be desired.

The shed and distant mountainsThe shed in the foreground frames this photo


If snow conditions are stable and you are properly equiped you can choose to leave the main road and cutoff up the steep open slopes to the summit. That will cut your distances by a mile and you will be starting right at a marked trailhead just south of the summit area. Make sure there is adaquate snow before attempting that route. There is a note warning of potential avalanche conditions toward the end to Sun Top. I did not see anything that was overly avalanche prone, however it will be smart to use good caution and avoid this mountain if the avalanche danger considerable or above.

Looking south from the summit More views


It should be noted that the Sun Top Lookout is not only locked in winter, it also has a security system and you can actually hear the alarm if you get close to the lookout. Do not attempt to break in to the lookout because if you do you will probably will face federal trepassing charges.

Looking up towards the summit area Looking up at Sun Top from the road

Getting There

Looking south from the summit Rainier in the background


VIA THE SNO PARK TRAIL: From Enumclaw take 410 24.8 miles. You will pass Greenwater roughly 4 miles before your turnoff. Make a right onto USFS Road 73 south and take the road for 1.4 miles. Be prepared for that road to be icy (bring chains).

TO CONTINUE UP THE SUN TOP ROAD: From Enumclaw take 410 24.8 miles. You will pass Greenwater roughly 4 miles before your turnoff. Make a right onto USFS Road 73 south and take the road for 1.4 miles. Make a left onto USFS 7153 and take it 5 miles to the foot of the summit of Sun Top.

Red Tape

In the summer a Northwest Forest Pass ($5 a day; $30 for the year) is required for any parking area on this mountain. In winter a Sno-Park Pass is required ($21 for the day; $42 for the year) to snowshoe or ski up Sun Top. When I was there the trails were not groomed in winter. Chains are required by law on the last stretch of 410. Without them you are risking a very stiff fine.

Camping

Camping far away from the summit and the road is legal. However do not attempt to break in to the lookout because if you do you will probably will face federal trepassing charges. We could hear a security alarm from outside the door.

External Links

THe wiki link with information on Sun Top

Official Sno Park Information Here


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.