Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.93843°N / 120.12822°W
Activities Activities: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7219 ft / 2200 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sunny Falls is an ice climbing crag near Eagle Lake which is known to be fairly reliable in the winter.

Sunny Falls is so named because in the morning it gets exposure from the sun. Be alert to falling / dripping ice if the day is warm and sun is intense.

Getting There

Refer to the directions to Eagle Lake for Eagle Creek Canyon. If the lake is well-frozen, walk across it, or along the south shore of the lake if any doubts. Near the inlet of the lake, head up (hopefully) snow-covered boulders and talus to the north side of the canyon. Sunny Falls should be quite obvious.

Routes

Most ice routes on Sunny Falls range in the WI3-4 area, though some mixed lines are possible. The falls are about 20m high and easily toproped - head up to the climber's left of the cliff. This is also the descent from the climbs, if you've led any of the routes.

You can also go up the slope to the right and traverse left, down to the top of the cliff if the creek crossing on the left looks too sketchy (in early season).

There are some bolts in the center of the cliff, and also a tree set somewhat far back (bring long slings, static rope, etc). To the right is a crack system that takes rock pro (tricams, slung horns, etc).

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Eagle Creek CanyonMountains & Rocks