Sunset Slab

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.36291°N / 121.14687°W
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.9
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Sunset Slab is on a smaller cliff on the west side of the formation. Cross Asterisk Pass, then walk south, or left. There is a fairly well established path that contours around through sagebrush. Continue hiking on this trail working gradually uphill, and in about 10 minutes a group of cliffs appears, separate from the main cliffs of the formation. Especially visible is a purplish and tan colored slab facing due west. This is sunset slab.

Route Description


The route is entirely bolted. There is a small bush about 9 feet above the cliff face on the left side of the slab. Start below this bush on big buckets and work right toward the first bolt. From there, the route is obvious, as most sport routes tend to be. It's rated 5.9, but that's a pretty soft rating. If you're new to climbing, and havn't led any 5.9s, this is great one to start on. The crux is a little bit of an awkward reach off a thin hold to a 2 finger pocket. But most of the route is a perfect mix of pockets and knobs.

Essential Gear


Quickdraws, a single rope is all that's needed to rap off.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.