Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.37146°N / 105.58888°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8440 ft / 2573 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

I have no idea of where this area received its name from, nor the people who made the first ascents of these road-side boulders; however these bouldres are a worthwhile area to stop by. If you are like me and most of boulderers around the world, you don't like long approaches but want great problems and great scenery. Well, look no further. This area is a great spot to spend a few hours after work or while staying in the Estes Park or RMNP area. I am unaware of many of the problem names or ratings, but the problems are pretty well marked and chalked. I will try my best to update this page with pics of problem names and ratings, but feel free to PM me for some more specifics or information. With a veiw of Longs and the rest of RMNP, these boulders offer great climbing for those who wish to boulder in the park.

Getting There

Getting here is not difficult, go to the main park entrance (by the visitor center) outside of RMNP and take the main road, ( CO36). Keep following this road, past one junction, and follow the switchbacks up towards Deer Mountain. Look for some obvious large boulers on the right hand side of the road just before a dirt pullout. Park here and take the climbers trail to the boulders.

Suzukie Boulders Area MapMap of RMNP with the location of Suzuki Boulders labeled by a green square.

 

Red Tape

This is in RMNP, so you need to have a pass to enter the area. Other than tha, I have had some run-ins with Rangers in the past, mostly involving accusation of vandalism or complaint about trash. It is perfectly fine to climb on these boulders, just be respectful and pack out what you pack in. The rocks are pretty sharp and have good grip too, so try to minize chalk if possible. I know this is hard for me since I get into the habbit of chalking up, but most of these boulders and problems can be climbed sans-chalk.

Camping

ABOLUTELY NO CAMPING ALLOWED HERE!