Talamantes

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 41.72595°N / 1.72605°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up; Peak II (PD)
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: III
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the most reasonable route to reach the Peaks I to III and it can to consider as normal because the path to Col de Herrera between Peaks II and III had the better signals (GR-90.1) and it's easily reachable in a nice walk-up. The access of all the peaks it's always out of path but the orientation it's easy in the col.

The distance of 1km to Peak IV with the same return (another km) generally make to desist of this climb of the most little peak. I write some alternative to the peakbaggers.

Important Note: the climb of Peaks I (main summit) and III are easy for all the people, but I write the grade III in reference to the Peak II (it need certain experience in rock-climb)

Getting There

See the main page to approach to Talamantes.
In Talamantes walk-up in upper direction to the exit of the village following some signals of paint in the houses (red and white of GR 90.1). It can to see some signals of wood to Collado del Campo but it's not the shortest route. The shortest route go to a ravine with direct view of the peaks in front of us.

Route Description

Slope: 650m
Time: 2h 30min

Leaving the village of Talamantes in a great green plain we follow a forest track. After a turn to north in the track we leave it in a signal of GR (stakes with red and white paint). The path it's evident in the center of ravine with interesting vegetation. We exit of the ravine and we turn to north following new signals. After a little hill of 1125m we reach a little col of 1116m with view of Peak IV (a track descent to north in this point, it's the same track what we leaved before).
Note: I consider what this col of 1116m it's the better point to access from this route to the Peak IV (1320m). I don't walked it but I think what out of path we can to walk to the NE of peak to entry to the wide plain to reach the summit (probably it's better in the descent of the other nicest peaks)
The path go horizontally to reach the access of a hillside and after a zig-zag we reach the col between the Peaks II and III, the Col de Herrera. We search in right direction a path among the stones to entry to the very wide summit of Peak III (1463m). Returning to the col we leave the paint of GR-90.1 (what go to Cerro del Morron and Sanctuary of Moncayo) and we walk under the east face of Peak II, generally without normal path but in evident direction to the Peak I. We reach a little col between Peak I (left) and Peak (II). It's the point to search the entry of the impressive Peak II. We turn to N searching a terrace what go bordering a gendarme to the west face of peak. The cracked chimney is in the middle. We evitate the first block in left side and after some steps of II we reach the exit in a great block of III. With the use of the hands in both sides of wall we reach the summit of Peak II (1527m).
Returning to the col we go in direction to Peak I and we border the peak in the path of left side to reach a new col in the SE of peak. Bordering behind we discover a terrace to walk to the entry carved in the stone to reach finally the summit of Peak I or main summit of Peñas de Herrera (1564m). Th landscape it's nice with marvelous images of peak II, the nearby Morrón and the range of Moncayo with the peak Lobera.
Descent it's across the same route


Essential Gear

Nothing special.
-Winter material?: I think not. Only in a few of days in winter after recent snowfall it's needed the use of crampons and ice-axe in the traverse from Peak III to Peak II and Peak I, but generally this area of south it's sunny and the snow remain very little time in the height of 1400m-1500m. Generally it's possible to evitate the snow in these days for no use the winter material.
-Rope to peak II?: the chimney it's very narrow and not exposed (it's difficult to fall a few of meters), not anchorage and the most complicated step-crossing of III had 2 meters. You climb or you not climb, but the rope it's not usefull.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.