Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Kadee

Kadee - Apr 14, 2010 5:18 pm - Voted 10/10

Awesome

Great page, guys. Tons of information and an awesome mountain. I will definately go back and get this one done, now that I have a visual route up the mountain.

lcarreau

lcarreau - Apr 18, 2010 8:47 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Awesome ...

The Colorado Plateau and its multitude of canyons has so much to
offer! Very glad (to hear) that you folks can find the time to
visit these remote and off-the-beaten-track places, and get all
the information stored in a report on a site such as Summitpost.

But .. HOW do you find the time? In my busy schedule, I'm lucky
to visit Utah (no more) than once-a-year.

I know .. I guess I need another lesson in time management!

Very well-constructed information and page !!!

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Jun 26, 2012 6:53 pm - Voted 10/10

West face route

I thought the route was on the west face and got myself into some mid-5th class terrain and would have needed ropes/pro to gain the summit ridge. I tried for sure...looked at about 5 possible routes on this side. Gaining the summit ridge on this side is easily a 5.6 climb with lots of exposure. I got close but couldn't safely get the last 15 feet.

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Jun 26, 2012 7:11 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: West face route...EDIT

After reading more, I found out the rock step with the cairn at its base IS the correct route (coming up from the lower ridge at the saddle). We just approached it from the west face.

NO DOUBT this is 5th class. Sorry Scott but this is no way 4th class to gain the summit ridge. I was able to climb the first rock step shown in Eric's TR free solo (though getting back down was interesting!) but the last small 20 foot pitch to gain the summit ridge looked even harder and not safe for me without any gear. Eric had a very good description of the route and the exact route I tried. If you plan to do this...bring rope, pro and rock climbing skill. Scott, please update this page.

Scott

Scott - Jun 26, 2012 11:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: West face route...EDIT

I will update the page (it needs a lot of other tweaks too). It sounds like several people have agreed that 4th class is too low of a rating. We did it without ropes, but it would be easier to come up with a better YDS rating if I did it more recently. I certainly wouldn't want to sand bag anyone.

I will PM Eric and see what he thinks the YDS rating will be. I go to the area often and wouldn't mind climbing Temple again, but it's way too hot now!

Matt Lemke

Matt Lemke - Feb 26, 2013 3:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: West face route...EDIT

Apparently a ledge has fallen away on the final 20 feet to reach the summit ridge which is what made this climb go from a 4th class ascent to a low 5th class one. I will provide more updates when I get back and climb it with rope and pro.

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Temple Mountain' main page