The Bishop - Bishop Rock

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.41166°N / 105.21366°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8260 ft / 2518 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Point 8240 from Bishop Rock
Enjoying the view


The Bishop and Bishop rise close to the Cathedral Spires - only 45 miles from Denver.

The Bishop and Bishop Rock can hardly be seen from the road - you will most likely have the whole area to yourself

The rock formation of the Bishop resembles a bishop clutching a bible to his chest - which gave birth to its name.

Bishop Rock itself is a long oval shaped, mostly forested ridge just north of The Bishop.

Its South and West faces are dominated by sheer cliffs; huge boulders offer lots of opportunities for scramblers and climbers. The Eastern Slope is forested and a bit gentler.

Getting There

Fun climb on the West Face


C-470 & Hampden(285), travel South on 285(west bound)

14.5 Miles to Foxton Road (Kennedy Gulch)- look for a sign for Reynolds Park

Take the exit and travel under the highway due south 8.2 Miles

Once at Platte River Rd (RD 96) turn right and travel 2.4 Miles to a large parking lot (space for at least a dozen cars) on the right side of the road.

Route

Bishop Rock
glimpse of the  Bible


From the parking lot head straight uphill on a clear path. After several switchbacks the path levels out in a small, forested valley which is separating Bishop Rock and The Bishop (left) and Cathedral Spires (right).

The path splits soon after you get the first time an unobstructed view of Bishop Rock to your left. Take the left fork of the path which is crossing the tiny creek bed and leads you out of the valley. Soon a well beaten climbers trail is branching off to your right, leading you up to the ridge connecting The Bishop(left) and Bishop Rock (right).
The summit of The Bishop itself is reserved to climbers comfortable in climbing Class 5 routes, but normal scramblers can make it right underneath the "Bible".


From the ridge you have plenty of options to get up to Bishop Rock- Class V climbs on sheer cliffs, Class III - IV climbs over huge boulders and up steep gullies or just hike through the forest along the West side of Point 8240 until you reach a valley which is giving easy Class II access to the summit ridge of Bishop Rock.

Bishop Rock is actually a long, oval shaped and mostly forested ridge - the highest point seems to be the rock formation at its most Northern end, which requires a Class IV climb.

The Bishop looks like an old, ruined fortress from the summit ridge.

The ridge is a great place to watch birds - nuthatchs, chickadees and at least one couple of crows showing off their acrobatic fliying skills


Find your way down the forested and boulder filled East slope of Bishop Rock until you are back on the trail at the valley bottom.

Follow the trail back to the parking spot.

Camping

Frozen North Fork - South Platte

Camping in the valley of the North Fork of the South Platte itself is not allowed - it is a day use area.


You can find spots to pitch a tent on the summit ridge (keeep in mind the risk of thunderstorms!). You can also find plenty of spots for bivouacing under the huge boulders of the West slope of Point 8240.

Mountain Conditions/Gear

Looks like an old fortress!


Mountain can be climbed year round with proper preparations.

Heat can be intense in summer because of the low altitude. Bring plenty of water, there is not any to be found on the mountain.

Plenty of thornscrub and rattlesnakes probably like it here, too - be careful where you step or sit.

Bats might use some of the alcoves on the West Slope as their summer home -
please do not disturb these rare creatures and leave their "home" immediately should you encounter any of them.

Sturdy boots - helmet if you want to climb.






Red Tape

South Face  Point 8240


North of Bishop Rock are two houses - please respect private property.

The following link gives more info about climbing routes and red tape for The Bishop:
The Bishop

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Jeremy Hakes

Jeremy Hakes - Jan 27, 2012 10:34 am - Voted 10/10

Coords are off?

Coords : 39.4224°N, 105.2724°W The only thing next to Raleigh is Eagle Rock, not far from where your coords are.

Niederbayer

Niederbayer - Jan 27, 2014 2:15 pm - Hasn't voted

they will find it with our without the cords

:)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.