The CAP Trailhead

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.71900°N / 111.4°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the parking area, walk south 200' or so to the bridge crossing. Cross the canal, then start walking up a primitive road. After a mile or so, the road ends. Continue climbing up the prominent wash as it climbs up to the base of the mountains. The grade steepens as you get closer to the mountains. As you approach the upper part of the wash, start looking for cairns. If you don’t find them at first, it’s really no big deal – just keep climbing up the wash. However, the cairns get more numerous as you climb higher, and you shouldn’t have any problems finding them.

The cairns will eventually lead you out of the wash and up the mountain. The route is hard to describe – just follow the cairns. There is also a faint path most of the way up. With the cairns and the path, you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding the way. The route up is steep in places, and you’re certain to slip numerous times on the loose rock. The route is rugged, and there are lots of plants with sharp thorns along the trail, but brush is not a problem. Continue up the mountain as it heads up a steep chute, then crests a little saddle a short distance below the summit. Climb up the slope towards the towers. Make the final push to the top, where you can enjoy the views.


Hiking Distance: About 6 miles round trip.
Elevation Gain: About 2,600'.








Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.