The easy way, without climbing

The easy way, without climbing

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 68.18960°N / 14.29440°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2/3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Find your way to Henningsvær. The road is numbered 816 and turns off from E10 about 30 minutes driving from Svolvær. On the way to or from Henningsvær, (which is very much the end of the road), the road crosses a tidal lake. This is Djupfjorden. There are several places to park and camp in this area. Hike along the North Shore of Djupfjorden until reaching a moraine separating it from a higher freshwater lake with a small waterfall in-between.



Route description

Follow the unmarked trail on the north side of Djupfjorden. When you reach the end of the fjord by Moan, you just follow the trail to the top of the valley Durmålsdalen between Kvanndalstinden and the western part of Vågakallen. It is a little bit rough just before you reach the pass. At the pass you can see the top of Vågakallen for the first time of the walking trip. You can still follow the trail towards the top. Afterwards, the trail disappears and you have to take bearing of a steep little valley 400 metres west of Vågakallen. You have to scramble a bit to come up here.

Now, the serious scrambling is starting. But it is quite easy, and in dry conditions, the rope is not necessary. In the beginning you follow the trail to there it is steep. Then the trail goes up a small cleft before you have to pass a short slab which is a little bit exposed. It is called "Hustaket" in norwegian, it means "the house`s roof" in english. If it is slippy/rainy here, you might need a rope to be safe. The rest of the way to the top is only walking in airy circumstances, and 3 metres easy climb in the upper part. The return goes the same way.

Essential gear

A pack with food, water, map, clothes and mobile. If the weather is unstable, a rope might be necessary to pass an exposed slab.

External links

Report from Vågakallen (norwegian)

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.