The "Easy" Way

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.59900°N / 107.095°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3rd Class
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

The approach is as described on the main page.

Route Description


From the parking lot head east on the obvious trail that starts next to a trail registry. The route ascends quite steeply and begins winding its way towards the south side of the peak. After gaining several hundred feet the trail levels slightly and forks. Take the left fork which travels north for a short while before heading back east and crossing over a barbed wire fence. The trail descends slightly until you are to the southeast of the peak, where the way to the summit departs abruptly up the scree/talus slope at a rather obvious junction marked by numerous cairns and a huge arrow of stones.

From here it may be helpful to refer to the photos I've included - click on them for specific information. Head up the slope towards the obvious gully along a fairly obvious trail. A short rock wall is easily scrambled up on its right side and just a short distance above this you will be in the gully. The first wall in the gully is the crux of the climb - some may feel it is 4th class. There are plenty of handholds and footholds on the left side, and you can use the other side to stem. Above this you can scramble up jumbled blocks or exit the gully up the right wall to a nice flat spot with a great view. If you elect to climb up to the ledge you will need to scramble over a few large and very exposed blocks to reach easier ground - a cairn marks the way. From here you are once again on an obvious footpath that continues along the east side of the peak, occasionally marked by cairns.

The next scramble leaves the trail in a non-obvious place - the footpath continues farther than necessary before ending abruptly. If you get below a large gnarled tree, you've gone too far. The correct way is more or less directly south of this tree and proceeds directly to it. The rocks next to the trail are scratched and I placed an arrow of stones to mark the way (no saying if it's still there though). Once above the first scramble an obvious trail re-emerges which you will follow past the tree further north. Where the trail ends you must go straight up the final scramble. Two options present themselves: a longer but easier scramble to the left and a steep wall followed by a walk on the right. The two ways rejoin quickly and all's that is left is a hike up a dirt trail to the summit. A large stone wall marks the summit and may be nice if it gets extremely windy!

Essential Gear


The route can be done easily without any rock climbing equipment, but use your own judgement on your abilities and what gear you may need. The route is firmly third class, with a couple very short sections that some may feel are fourth class. A helmet might be a good idea to protect from rock fall.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.