Viewing: 1-9 of 9
rpc

rpc - Mar 2, 2009 11:55 am - Voted 10/10

looks

like a fun one Marc - nice page too.

Augie Medina

Augie Medina - Mar 2, 2009 3:58 pm - Voted 10/10

Again

a wonderful route page. I like your caveat about noise.

Augie

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 2, 2009 5:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Again

Thank you Augie. I am happy you feel that way. Years ago, I stopped going to Joshua Tree for that very reason. And on my last visit to the area last month, things had not changed very much. Three so called climbers on the base of Thin Wall had their radio blasting dumb music.

Thanks for the visit and the compliment Augie. I really appreciate it.
Marc

WoundedKnee

WoundedKnee - Mar 4, 2009 5:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Comprehensive

A very impressive route page. Looks like a fun climb!

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 4, 2009 5:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Comprehensive

Many thanks for the compliment.
If you ever visit California, you could consider a visit to Joshua Tree. The Flake is a clissic climb that is so easy to find. You'll love climbing it.
Happy climbing,
Marc

atthecrux

atthecrux - Mar 4, 2009 5:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Great climb!

This is a fun one. If you do it, you gotta do the chimney start!As for the noise factor, that's why I like Josh! Not to many rangers to bug you at night (unlike Yos or Tuolumne). One year there was a group of Spanairds at HVCG...man can they party! Or even someone playing classical violin at midnight! Jumbo Rocks is usually quieter (more families)As for the thin wall, great routes but I stay away from that place. To many topropes and gym type people with getto blasters in tow. Josh has so many primo places to be had to yourself to go near that wall IMO. You mention reservations...Isn't that only for group camping at Sheeps Pass or Indian Cove? JTree has always been 1st come 1st served. Don't get me wrong, Nice page.. maybe see you out there some time.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Mar 4, 2009 6:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great climb!

You are absolutely right about the noise factor. Yes, Jumbo Rocks CG is by far better, but even there can get a bit noisy.
I think you are right about the first come first served campsite thing too. But, by calling the info, you get a better idea if there are any campsites available. The rangers pretty much know the situation about the CGs.
I have never done the face start to the Flake. I guess I'm chicken to go high without pro. I manage to get something in a few feet up the chimney before I get to better part of it.

Thanks for dropping by, and happy climbing,

Steve Larson

Steve Larson - Oct 18, 2010 1:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Do it as one pitch

You'll get up quicker and annoy fewer people waiting in line if you just do it as one pitch. The key to avoiding rope drag at the top is to extend your anchor back toward the edge so I doesn't run over yards and yards of rough rock. Easier on your gear as well.

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Oct 18, 2010 1:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Do it as one pitch

Sure thing. I've seen it done as one pitch.

Viewing: 1-9 of 9
Return to 'The Flake, 5.8' main page