The Great Thrash Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
ClimberMan420

ClimberMan420 - Aug 18, 2008 4:13 pm - Hasn't voted

great thrash

This route is non technical and usually free climbed although it is steep and unpleasant, some parties choose to rappel it although it hardly seems to make sense to rappel the whole thing. leaving gear stashed once reaching the bush line seems smarter as down climbing the bush part is unexposed and surpringly easy. rappeling the last section back to easier scramles may be worth it as it is borderline class 3-4 and definelty exposed.

ClimberMan420

ClimberMan420 - Aug 18, 2008 4:20 pm - Hasn't voted

approach to route

The Howe Sound Crest trail passes over the notch inbetween the two lions. From this notch it is easy to reach the great thrash route. One must descend and traverse around north base of east lion around to its eastern side where the route is accessed. Early in the season This descent/traverse involves crossing a large snow field which wraps around the base of the east Lions north base. The snow field is steep near 45. and is run out. in mid August it was easy to descend extra and around its terminus, earlir in the season it may be necessary to carry an ice axe for the snow descent/traverse to gain the start of the route.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Return to 'The Great Thrash' main page