The Great Thrash

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 49.27000°N / 123.11°W
Additional Information Route Type: difficult scramble with technical sections
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 4-5
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


This route is only for anyone wishing to climb the East Lion the shorter but more technically demanding of the 2 Lions. There are two approaches as detailed on the main page the first is to drive through North Vancouver to the official Trailhead (Paul Binkert trail) and the second and perhaps easier route is from the downhill ski parking lot at Cypress Bowl along the Howe Sound Crest trail, around the west side of Mt. Strachan and then up Unnecessary mountain where you will find the base of the East and West Lion.Each hike is anywhere from 7 to 10 hours depending on one's level of fitness so prepare for a long day.

Route Description


This is the standard line. It is a telltale band of vegetation that runs up the eastern face of the East Lion along a series of switchbacks and over some precarious ledges. One can stay clear of the bushes for the first half of the climb, by keeping to the left along the ledges, but for the second half as the ledges narrow it is unavoidable. Here you are also more exposed as well. For further information you can check out bivouac.com but you need to be a paid member to view their routes.

Essential Gear


A helmet, a chalk bag, all weather gear, rigid boots or shoes... and if climbing in the winter an ice axe would be a good idea, though the route is more snow covered than ice covered. I will post more info. later after I ascertain whether there are any bolted sections because as far as I know it is more of a scramble than a technical climb.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
ClimberMan420

ClimberMan420 - Aug 18, 2008 4:13 pm - Hasn't voted

great thrash

This route is non technical and usually free climbed although it is steep and unpleasant, some parties choose to rappel it although it hardly seems to make sense to rappel the whole thing. leaving gear stashed once reaching the bush line seems smarter as down climbing the bush part is unexposed and surpringly easy. rappeling the last section back to easier scramles may be worth it as it is borderline class 3-4 and definelty exposed.

ClimberMan420

ClimberMan420 - Aug 18, 2008 4:20 pm - Hasn't voted

approach to route

The Howe Sound Crest trail passes over the notch inbetween the two lions. From this notch it is easy to reach the great thrash route. One must descend and traverse around north base of east lion around to its eastern side where the route is accessed. Early in the season This descent/traverse involves crossing a large snow field which wraps around the base of the east Lions north base. The snow field is steep near 45. and is run out. in mid August it was easy to descend extra and around its terminus, earlir in the season it may be necessary to carry an ice axe for the snow descent/traverse to gain the start of the route.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

LionsRoutes