The Lieback

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.75626°N / 118.37803°W
Additional Information Route Type: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.7 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Info

"Lieback" is a naturally protected climb that follows the obvious left-facing dihedral that splits Kernville Rock up the middle. The climb consists of 2 pitches of gear protected climbing. The only bolts are at the top rap station. The climb's graded 5.5 in "Needles" book but, it's probably more like 5.7.

P1: Follow the finger sized crack up past a small tree/bush. Continue up placing a series of mid to small sized cams and nuts. Belay at the notch that has a perpendicular crack stuffed with cam debris.

P2: Continue up the dihedral to the rocky ledge. At this point you can finish up and to the right on the face to a bolted belay or to the left via the cam-protectable undercling and then up past one tie off knob to a rap station on top. To walk off the route work your way to the top of the ridge and walk off the South side back to the base (rap recomended).

This route is mentioned in the "Needles" guidbook by, Greg Vernon.

Note: This route can be climbed combining most of the two above pitches together and belaying at the ledge by tieing off the large block on the South side of the ledge.


Gear

Bring small to mid sized cams and nuts.Add Route Description text here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.