Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.41850°N / 105.7928°W
Additional Information County: Larimer
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11969 ft / 3648 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

No matter how hard I searched, I could not find a name or any reference to this "peak". That's probably because it's not really much of a peak. It's the high point anchor of a ridge that eventually constructs the backbone of Rocky Mountain National Park and the Continental Divide. So, going with my general feeling of the mountain, I call it "The Lump".

"The Lump" isn't very difficult either. You barely gain 1200' from Milner Pass. Given, a good chunk of that can be straight up depending on what route you take, so it's a moderate work out.

However, it is nice and quiet, with plenty of wildlife.

Getting There

Drive to the Milner Pass Trailhead. Follow the Continental Divide trail up past treeline, and it'll be the first peak/hill on your left. You'll have to go off trail. There is no trail leading to the top. Just a plod through tundra.

You could also access it through Forest Canyon. If you were to choose that route, expect an epic approach with a lot of bushwacking.

Red Tape

A lot of red tape. You have to pay the RMNP entrance fee. There's no sites for camping in the immediate area. And every single Park regulation will probably apply.

Camping

There's probably not much camping here, unless you wanna go down into Forest Canyon and hide out.