The Notch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.26300°N / 105.6563°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

This route starts at McHenrys Notch, which is the dent in the Continental Divide that separates McHenrys Peak from Powell Peak. The divide runs in the west-east direction at this point. The notch therefore has north and south sides. It can be reached in two ways.
  1. Downclimbing from the top of Powell Peak. This approach is described here.
  2. Ascend the couloir to the north of the notch. This is a steep snow/ice route that Gillett rates II AI 2. Access to the couloir is from Lake Solitude. See the Arrowhead page for how to get there.

Route Description

From the Notch climb steep slabs to the east (sustained Class 4). Once out of the Notch follow a ledge that contours the top of the southwest face. Once the summit is in sight traverse toward it on talus. Conversely, from the summit of McHenrys Peak, head west until you find a ledge that leads to the cliff that descends to the notch. Downclimb on steep slabs to the col (Class 4).

Essential Gear

Standard hiking gear is sufficient for the ascent to McHenrys Peak from the Notch., but some parties may want to rope up. A helmet is recommended. The approach though the couloir is a technical snow climb and should be approached as such. One may want to rappel part of the downclimb from McHenrys Peak to the Notch. There are some runners in place, but you should not count on finding them, or at least finding them in good state.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.